Phoenix Child Pornography Attorney
In Arizona, the possession or distribution of child porn is called sexual exploitation of a minor. It is a serious charge, subject to a prison sentence of 10 to 24 years for each image knowingly possessed. If you are under investigation for or have been charged with possession or distribution of child pornography, our Phoenix child pornography attorneys offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your case.
In Arizona, a person can be charged with sexual exploitation of a minor for:
- Recording, filming, photographing, developing or duplicating any visual depiction in which a minor (under 18 years of age) is engaged in exploitive exhibition or other sexual conduct
- Distributing, transporting, exhibiting, receiving, selling, purchasing, electronically transmitting, possessing or exchanging such images
The federal government has made the prosecution of child pornography cases a priority under the “Protect Act”, which means you could be charged in state or federal court. Both state and federal prosecutors consider the prosecution of child pornography a priority and are not looking to make these charges probation eligible matters.
Possession of child pornography is a registration offense under Arizona’s sex offender registration law. Possession of child pornography can also lead to the loss of your parental rights under a civil action by Arizona Child Protective Services.
Defenses in a Child Pornography Case
Defenses in a child pornography case include:
- Police did not have a valid warrant for seizing computer evidence.
- Other people had access to your computer.
- The images were in your temporary cache or unallocated space. Accidental viewing of child pornography is not a crime if you did not do anything with the images, such as saving or distributing them.
- The images are not real children. Possession of virtual child pornography is not a crime.
Free Attorney Consultation
If you are under investigation for or have been charged with knowingly viewing, possessing or manufacturing child pornography in Arizona, please contact a lawyer at Blumberg & Associates in Phoenix as soon as possible. The sooner you contact a defense attorney, the more your attorney can do to protect your rights and your future.